case sensitivity

T. William Wells bill at twwells.uucp
Sun Apr 23 20:17:08 AEST 1989

In article <17061 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
: More seriously: I have used languages that ignore case, and languages
: that care about case, and have never been particularly impressed with
: the former, nor particularly excited about the case distinctions in the
: latter.

I use the case of identifiers to tell me some important bits of
information about the identifier that are not properly conveyed by the
name.  Here's my table:

identifier      a local variable, a function, or structure or union member
Identifier      a global variable
IDENTIFIER      a #define constant, a typedef name, or a tag
identifier(...) a function-like macro
IDENTIFIER(...) a macro that evaluates its arguments more than once,
		references locals, or does other wierd things

(I don't use enumerated types for portability reasons but they'd be
treated like #define constants. And I don't use labels and have no
plans for including them; after 6 years of programming C without gotos
I don't think they matter.)

Having these distinctions made consistently makes reading the code
much easier.

---
Bill                            { uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill