case sensitivity

S. Manoharan sam at lfcs.ed.ac.uk
Mon Apr 24 20:02:53 AEST 1989

    Bill ({ uunet | novavax } !twwells!bill) writes:
>In article <17061 at mimsy.UUCP> chris at mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
: More seriously: I have used languages that ignore case, and languages
: that care about case, and have never been particularly impressed with
: the former, nor particularly excited about the case distinctions in the
: latter.

>I use the case of identifiers to tell me some important bits of
>information about the identifier that are not properly conveyed by the
>name.  Here's my table:

>Having these distinctions made consistently makes reading the code
much easier.

Having two ids foo and FOO that mean  two different things will sure
lead to confusion. If one accepts this,
how would a case-insensitive language not support readabiltity?
And how would a case-sensitive lang  make the id-name space larger?

Voice: 031-667 5076                          S. Manoharan
Janet: sam at uk.ac.ed.lfcs                     Dept of Computer Science
Uucp : ..!mcvax!ukc!lfcs!sam                 University of Edinburgh
Arpa : sam%lfcs.ed.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk    Edinburgh EH9 3JZ    UK.