looking for >32-bit address space [and how will C handle it]

Tim Olson tim at crackle.amd.com
Wed Apr 5 12:40:48 AEST 1989

In article <11968 at pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> faustus at dogwood.Berkeley.EDU (Wayne A. Christopher) writes:

| > 	2) Flat 64-bit addressing has been, and will be for a lonnng time,
| > 	too costly for most micros.
|
| Take a look at this month's Spectrum -- there's an article about the
| Intel i680 chip, which seems to have a flat 64-bit address space.
| We'll have to see how quickly this chip catches on -- it looks really
| hot (it benchmarks at twice the Dhrystones of the MIPS chip), but for
| manufacturers who don't want to double the size of their external bus
| it may be a bit too much.

Quoting from the i860 "64-bit microprocessor" manual, Chapter 4
(Addressing):

	"Memory is addressed in byte units with a paged virtual-address
	space of 2^32 bytes. ... Address arithmetic is performed using
	32-bit input values and produces 32-bit results."

The i860 really is a 32-bit machine -- the 64-bit label seems to come
from the 64-bit external bus, which is used to fetch two
instructions/data words at a time for cache reload.

Well, there is some support for 64-bit integers in the graphics unit
(addition and subtraction), but not in general.

	-- Tim Olson
	Advanced Micro Devices
	(tim at amd.com)