looking for >32-bit address space [and how will C handle it]

Wayne A. Christopher faustus at dogwood.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Apr 5 10:26:44 AEST 1989

In article <16568 at winchester.mips.COM>, mash at mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
> In article <12289 at reed.UUCP> mdr at reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) writes:
> >>Are there any micros or chipsets out there that support an address space
> >>larger than 32 bits?
>
> 	2) Flat 64-bit addressing has been, and will be for a lonnng time,
> 	too costly for most micros.

Take a look at this month's Spectrum -- there's an article about the
Intel i680 chip, which seems to have a flat 64-bit address space.
We'll have to see how quickly this chip catches on -- it looks really
hot (it benchmarks at twice the Dhrystones of the MIPS chip), but for
manufacturers who don't want to double the size of their external bus
it may be a bit too much.

	Wayne