case sensitivity

Tainter tainter at ihlpb.ATT.COM
Wed Apr 26 08:41:36 AEST 1989

In article <1831 at etive.ed.ac.uk> sam at lfcs.ed.ac.uk (S. Manoharan) writes:
>>I use the case of identifiers to tell me some important bits of
>>information about the identifier that are not properly conveyed by the
>>name.  Here's my table:

>Having two ids foo and FOO that mean  two different things will sure
>lead to confusion. If one accepts this,
>how would a case-insensitive language not support readabiltity?

But, we don't accept this!  Unless someone is reading the symbols out
loud (see the silly, SILLY phone test discussion) people are not going to
confuse these.  Show me proof that someone able to otherwise understand
the language will get confused by this.  Use of case sensitivity in
mathematics has not seriously interfered with its readability.

>Voice: 031-667 5076                          S. Manoharan

--johnathan.a.tainter--
   att!ihlpb!tainter