fortran to C converter

Prescott K. Turner turner at sdti.SDTI.COM
Fri Apr 14 00:44:00 AEST 1989

In article <11926 at lanl.gov> jlg at lanl.gov (Jim Giles) writes:
>The problem with this is that all the primitive operations on 'objects'
>in C++ is done with procedure calls.
>I've not heard that inlining is available on any C++ presently marketed.

Inlining is an explicit feature of C++ which is supported by AT&T's cfront
and by the majority of marketed C++'s as they are based on cfront.  Inlining
is also supported by Zortech C++ and to the best of my knowledge by EVERY
C++ presently marketed.

>The problem is that the 'inlining' requires the source (or some
>intermediate form) of the function library to be present at compile time.
Compiling the user's code only requires the source of the procedures which
are declared inline.  A substantial C++ package is best off with only a small
part of its code in the inline procedure definitions.  A package need be
distributed only with its header (INCLUDE) files.

>Genuine function overloading is more general, easier to understand, and could
>be just as efficient.
Perhaps it "could be".  But no other language surpasses C++ in availability
and efficient support for dynamic overloading.
--
Prescott K. Turner, Jr.
Software Development Technologies, Inc.
UUCP: ...{harvard,mit-eddie}!sdti!turner    Internet: turner at sdti.sdti.com