Color sensitivity? No, BUT....

Stephen Uitti suitti at haddock.ima.isc.com
Sat Apr 29 01:35:12 AEST 1989

In article <1318 at frog.UUCP> john at frog.UUCP (John Woods) writes:
>In article <9968 at claris.com>, krazy at claris.com (Jeff Erickson) writes:
>> What I would like is the ability to change text styles, sizes, colors, and
>> fonts within my code.  I could, for example, have all my comments in a
>> smaller point size than my code.  Or I could make critical sections of
>> code red. The code itself would still be just the text... Comments??

What is the ASCII value of a red 'a'?  If the code isn't written
in a portable character set, it is not a very portable program.
Do we have conversion programs to move the text of the program
about?  Even if that can be made to work, it will have the APL
problem.  If you are trying to modify a program written with the
fancy support without it, you loose.

>One thing *I've* wanted is the ability include pictures in comments (for
>example, imagine feeding a MacWrite file to the Macintosh C compiler).
>The ability to include real drawings of box-and-pointer diagrams could
>immensely clarify some hairy pieces of code now and then.  Occaisionally
>I have stooped to ASCII graphics, but somehow they just don't work as well.

Why not put your documentation into a seperate file?  Document
files could be real documentation.  If the program gets ported
from the Mac to a NeXT machine, where (for example) uSoft Word
doesn't exist, at least printed documentation could be available.

Stephen.