the Telephone Test (was: Re: case sensitivity)

Karl Heuer karl at haddock.ima.isc.com
Wed Apr 26 04:29:10 AEST 1989

In article <3582 at nunki.usc.edu> jeenglis at nunki.usc.edu (Joe English) writes:
>How does one "pronounce" C?

Oh God, not this thread again.

This is pretty much a religious issue.  Some people pronounce "char" like the
English word with the same spelling; others pronounce it like the first
syllable of "character".  (And whether the latter is the same as "care"
depends on your dialect.)  People will argue for one or the other on grounds
of consistency, but it turns out that nobody uses a fully consistent style
anyway.  Next we start to discuss the correct pronunciation of symbols like
`#' (sharp, pound, number, hash, mesh, grid, octothorp, tictactoeboard, etc.),
common phrases like "bash bang splat", and then someone will post the complete
list from The Hacker's Dictionary, including the Intercal names like "angle
worm" for "<-".

If we must go through this, let's keep it to comp.misc, okay?