the Telephone Test (was: Re: case sensitivity)

Dave Jones djones at megatest.UUCP
Tue Apr 25 09:12:26 AEST 1989

>From article <3582 at nunki.usc.edu>, by jeenglis at nunki.usc.edu (Joe English):
>
> djones at megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) writes:
>
>> [about the "telephone test"]
>
> This reminds me of a question I had a while ago
> but never asked anyone who would know...  How does
> one "pronounce" C?

> Some of the rules I use are:

> char is pronounced "character," (as opposed to
> "car" or "care;" I assume that the listener knows
> how to spell it);

On the East Coast, it is pronounced "care". Here in Silicon Valley, it
is pronounced "char".

> ... is this a stupid question?

Not at all.  Having had quite a bit of experience recently discussing
programs and proposed programs, both over the phone and in person,
with persons from the other coast, it would seem advantageous to have
some conventions.

It would also seem like a dandy topic of personal preference and opinion
which could provoke an amusing religious war here on the net.

We'll see what happens.