Need matrix inversion C routine.

Kenneth A. Wolcott k1wolcot at pikes.Colorado.EDU
Sat Apr 22 02:03:57 AEST 1989

In article <5785 at cbnews.ATT.COM>, wkb at cbnews.ATT.COM (Wm. Keith Brummett) writes:

 [ ... lines deleted ... ]

>     BTW, can anyone tell me why it is that every language except C seems
>     to have standard subroutines to do this?

 [ ... lines deleted ... ]

I did not see any matrix inversion routines "BUILT-IN" since I started in
Pascal in 1981 -- let's see -- I've looked at, used or read about as many as
twenty different PC-based or mini-computer Pascal compilers -- none had matrix
inversion routines!  Ada doesn't have one (and people accuse Ada of being the
"kitchen-sink" language) -- I must have missed it when I looked at Prime Pl/1
-- I don't think any of our 7 FORTRAN compilers have it...

I think that you are after a LIBRARY function (not BUILT-IN) for matrix
inversion.  If so, that is a installation-dependent characteristic!  Someone at
site #1 has a FORTRAN compiler on a PC with that library -- someone at site #2
has the same compiler and the same hardware, but doesn't have that library.
Same thing with "C".  Same thing with Ada, Pascal, Modula-2, PL/1, COBOL --
you name the language -- you'll find different libraries installed.  ANSI
never (I don't think so) did standardize the libraries for each language!  How
could it be done?  It might be real nice to be able to go to six different
sites and get identical library support!

Kenneth A. Wolcott
University of Colorado at Denver
Computing Services Advising & Operations

"k1wolcot at pikes.colorado.edu"  or
"kwolcott at pikes.colorado.edu"  or
"kwolcott at copper.colorado.edu" or
"kwolcott at orphan.colorado.edu" or