How Do You Pronounce "#define"?

Todd M. Lewis utoddl at uncecs.edu
Fri Dec 15 00:34:35 AEST 1989

In article <1043 at sys.uea.ac.uk>, cmp8118 at sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) writes:

> Personally, I pronounce it 'Hash define', 'cos having been a living English
 [...]
> Basically, # means 'number' when combined with a number, e.g. #14 is read as
> 'Number 14'. Except of course in Chinese takeaways, where #14 is read as 'Egg
> Foo Yung with Deep Fried Mushrooms and House Special Fried Rice'.
>
> So call it whatever you want. Why not call it a Large Green Frog, that's got a
> ring to it, hasn't it ??
>
> So remember ....
>
>                  Large Green Frog include <stdio.h>

Fine.  So how do you pronounce the difference between
   #include <some.h>
and
   #include "some.h"

I usually just say "include some dot aytch" and I wouldn't have
brought it up if it weren't so amazing how far so many people
can ride the same dead horse.

-- Todd (beating a dead horse into a ploughshare) Lewis