How Do You Pronounce "#define"?

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.uucp
Sat Dec 16 00:37:16 AEST 1989

In article <1454 at skye.ed.ac.uk> ken at aiai.UUCP (Ken Johnson) writes:

>I can't imagine that anyone doesn't know this already, but the UK Pound
>sign is not # but a crossed-out script L .  therefore, talking about
>`pound define', `the pound sign' etc.  is only going to confuse us here!

What makes you think it refers to pound sterling?  '#' is shorthand for
pounds weight (2000# = 1 ton)  I don't think anyone on this side of the
pond thinks the '#' means pound sterling.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy at druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.