MSC __STDC__ strange value

Sean Fagan seanf at sco.COM
Sun Dec 10 10:18:19 AEST 1989

In article <4714 at arisia.Xerox.COM> leisner at arisia.UUCP (Marty Leisner) writes:
>__STDC__ only needs to be defined in a conforming compiler.

Section 3.8.8:

"The following macro names shall be defined by the implementation:
__STDC__	the decimal constant 1. (79)
(79) Thus indicating a Standard-conforming implementation."

(The (79) indicates a footnote number, of course).

>It makes no sense to define __STDC__ to be 0 (except to confuse everyone).
>This STDC == 0 stuff has caused  nothing but grief.

Possibly.  I *like* it, and agree with it, although there is one major bug
in MSC that I'd like to fix (dealing with prototypes with mixed named and
unnamed parameters), but I can also agree with people who *don't* like it.

Anyway, a conforming implementation will have __STDC__ defined, and will
have, as it's value, the constant 1 (decimal, as opposed, I guess, to the
octal constant 1 8-)).

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts."
seanf at sco.COM    |    -- Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck), _Magnum, P.I._