MSC __STDC__ strange value

Tom Tkacik tkacik at rphroy.UUCP
Sat Dec 9 00:24:11 AEST 1989

In article <4714 at arisia.Xerox.COM> leisner at arisia.UUCP (Marty Leisner) writes:
>__STDC__ only needs to be defined in a conforming compiler.

>It makes no sense to define __STDC__ to be 0 (except to confuse everyone).

>I work with a TI34010 and the TI supplied C compiler also defines __STDC__ to 0.  At least with MSC, that's trying to be an ansi C compiler.  TI only claims to be a
>K&R C compiler, if that much.

>This STDC == 0 stuff has caused  nothing but grief.

>I'm close to the point to patching the preprocessor binary to remove this nonsense.

At least it doesn't define __STDC__ to be 1.

The Apollo C compiler claims to conform to K&R C, with a couple of
ANSI C extensions, (ie. function prototypes).
Because of this, they decided that __STDC__ should be defined as 1.

There is absolutely no excuse for this!

--
Tom Tkacik		GM Research Labs,   Warren MI  48090
uunet!edsews!rphroy!megatron!tkacik		Work Ph: (313)986-1442