absolute address pointer in MS C 5.1

Bruce W. Mohler bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu
Sun Dec 31 08:03:33 AEST 1989

I'm trying to print out a series of characters at an
absolute address (up in the F000:xxxx ROM) from inside
of an MS C 5.1 program.  I must be flushing all around
the solution.  I've looked in all 3 of the MS C binders,
in Norton's _Programmer's Guide to the IbM PC_, even
Kencht's _Advanced Quick C_, without finding the answer.

This doesn't work for me:

	char far *machine_id = (0xFFFFE);	/* F000:FFFE */

It doesn't work to express the address in the format that
it is in the comment.  I've tried swapping 'char' and 'far',
but that's a syntax error.

Any suggestions?  This must be fairly easy (its easy to make
a program non-portable, isn't it?).

Thanks, in advance!

--
Bruce W. Mohler