MSC __STDC__ strange value

Marty Leisner leisner at arisia.Xerox.COM
Fri Dec 8 09:33:14 AEST 1989

In article <9692 at pyr.gatech.EDU> is813cs at pyr.gatech.edu (Cris Simpson) writes:
>   According to K&R2, (pg 233), __STDC__ must be defined, as well as
>(insert your own __ 's)  LINE, FILE, DATE, TIME.   However, since
>5.1 is not ANSI, __STDC__ can't be 1.

__STDC__ only needs to be defined in a conforming compiler.

It makes no sense to define __STDC__ to be 0 (except to confuse everyone).

I work with a TI34010 and the TI supplied C compiler also defines __STDC__ to 0.  At least with MSC, that's trying to be an ansi C compiler.  TI only claims to be a
K&R C compiler, if that much.

This STDC == 0 stuff has caused  nothing but grief.

I'm close to the point to patching the preprocessor binary to remove this nonsense.

marty leisner
leisner.henr at xerox.com