C/370 is case insensitive, and just generally rots!

P E Smee exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk
Mon Dec 18 22:30:44 AEST 1989

In article <72683 at psuecl.bitnet> c9h at psuecl.bitnet writes:
>In article <1290 at quintus.UUCP>, jbeard at quintus.UUCP (Jeff Beard) writes:
>> We now see two flavors of IBM/C: the originals ala Whitesmiths
>> which were programs 5713-AAG/H and the SAA compliant 5688-039/040.
>>
>> Precisely which are you flaming?
>
>C/370 is IBM's latest incarnation of C for the system/370, and many of their
>mainframes of course.  I'm using it on a 3090-600(S or E, I don't recall)
>and a 4381.  It sucks.
>
>About the special characters (namely braces and brackets):  CMS doesn't
>appear to have much of a problem with them.  XEDIT will display brackets
>if I use SET APL ON, and CMS 5.5 seems to handle the braces correctly with
>a couple of SET OUTPUT commands, but CMS 5 (on the 4381) is giving me Hell

*I* was flaming 5713-AAH; our IBM people have never indicated that
there is an official alternative.  (We *are* looking into the C on the
'Waterloo' tapes.)

Apropos special characters, I may have been the tiniest bit
over-critical.  If you are using a fairly new 3270 on a directly
attached terminal controller, you CAN get at most of the 'special'
characters.  If you are using an oldish 3270, or are attached via an
X-29-ish network connection, you can't sensibly.  We have 3 of the
former, all in the Ops bridge, and a humungous lot of the latter, and
you can probably tell from my postings which I was using.  (The older
3270's are even worse, in that the keycaps don't match the keyboard
layout as defined by what you get when you hit the keys.  I'm told we
can't reconfigure their controller to fix that, because then the
printer hooked to the same SNA channel won't work.  However, I'm
getting a bit far afield now.)

--
Paul Smee, Univ of Bristol Comp Centre, Bristol BS8 1TW, Tel +44 272 303132
 Smee at bristol.ac.uk  :-)  (..!uunet!ukc!gdr.bath.ac.uk!exspes if you MUST)