C/370 is case insensitive, and just generally rots!

Doug McDonald mcdonald at aries.scs.uiuc.edu
Tue Dec 19 10:29:29 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec18.113044.10445 at gdt.bath.ac.uk> exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) writes:
>In article <72683 at psuecl.bitnet> c9h at psuecl.bitnet writes:
>>C/370 is IBM's latest incarnation of C for the system/370, and many of their
>>mainframes of course.  I'm using it on a 3090-600(S or E, I don't recall)
>>and a 4381.  It sucks.
>>
>*I* was flaming 5713-AAH; our IBM people have never indicated that
>there is an official alternative.  (We *are* looking into the C on the
>'Waterloo' tapes.)

This seems so simple: there is a set of STANDARD, world-wide
character codes, that are used on essentially all computers in the
world except one benighted variety: ASCII and its 256 bit European
extensions. All of these have the printing codes from 32 to 126
the same.

IBM: simply use these for all uses on your mainframes.

So simple.

Or: when specifying a new computer you are going to buy,
specify that these are the codes that will be used for all
operations.

Doug McDonald