MSC 5.1 make

Shane Dawalt sdawalt at wright.EDU
Sun Dec 17 17:59:29 AEST 1989

in article <1989Dec15.021527.18711 at sjuphil.uucp>, ryan at sjuphil.uucp (Patrick M. Ryan) says:

>      Is it just my imagination or is the version of Make which comes
> with MSC 5.1 a pitiful imitation of the real Unix Make?

  I do not use MSC, however, I have heard plenty of talk about MSC's
make vs. Borland's make.  (Borland follows the Unix convention.)  There
are many people wondering why their MSC make files will not produce the
correct results under Borland's make.  I suspect that Microsoft may have
relaxed the strict rule flow of Unix so that non-Unix users could simply
list their files in any order and make would run without problems ... then
you have the Unix people wondering why MSC's make is so "strange."  :-)

  Shane

sdawalt at cs.wright.edu