MSC 5.1 make

Fred Smith fredex at cg-atla.UUCP
Sat Dec 16 04:18:49 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec15.021527.18711 at sjuphil.uucp> ryan at sjuphil.uucp (Patrick M. Ryan) writes:

>     Is it just my imagination or is the version of Make which comes
>with MSC 5.1 a pitiful imitation of the real Unix Make?
>     I have seem PD implementations of Make on PCs which work exactly the
>same as the Unix make.  Why did Microsoft limit their version so much?

No it is NOT your imagination. Microsoft's Make utility is largely a wortless
piece of code--good for nothing except taking up disk space (unless you work
from within QuickC, which needs the damn thing for doing builds).

There have been reasonably good Make clones around for a long time. I saw one
at least four  years ago which was shipped with Mark Williams C compiler (to say
nothing of several commercial makes and a bunch of shareware/PD ones).

Fred