MSC 5.1 make

Kaleb Keithley kaleb at mars.jpl.nasa.gov
Sat Dec 16 03:29:35 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec15.021527.18711 at sjuphil.uucp> ryan at sjuphil.uucp (Patrick M. Ryan) writes:

>     Is it just my imagination or is the version of Make which comes
>with MSC 5.1 a pitiful imitation of the real Unix Make?  There are some
>pretty fundamental things it doesn't seem to do, such as assuming
>'makefile' as the default makefile name.  The built-in macros are
>few and far between.  It insists on making the objects in the order
>in which they appear in the file instead of letting the user specify
>an object to be made and starting the dependency checking from there.
>     I have seem PD implementations of Make on PCs which work exactly the
>same as the Unix make.  Why did Microsoft limit their version so much?
>     I have heard that MSC 6.0 is due out sometime in the near future.
>Has anyone heard of any plans to rectify this situation?

I can't speak for Microsoft's plans for MSC 6.0, but if you get QuickC 2.0 or
2.01, it comes with NMAKE.EXE (New Make?) that more closely emulates UN*X make.

If I had to guess, I think M'soft will distribute NMAKE with 6.0 whenever it
hits the streets.

Chewey, get us outta here!

kaleb at mars.jpl.nasa.gov             (818)354-8771
Kaleb Keithley