Helps wanted on Microsoft C compiler.

Bryan Donaldson bryan at stiatl.UUCP
Tue Dec 5 00:21:27 AEST 1989

jwang at smu.edu (Jainbai Wang) writes:
>When programming with Microsoft C lately, I run into a problem that the
>MSC compiler gives the following error message at compiling time :
>           Fatal error C1059 : out of near heap space
>The manual explains it like this :
>	   The compiler has run out of storage for items that it stores
>           in the "near" (default data segment) heap. This usually means
>           that your program has too many symbols or complex expressions.
>           To correct the problem, divide the file into several smaller
>           source files, or break expressions into smaller subexpressions.

>[deleted]
>SOME ONE PLEASE GIVE A HINT ON HOW TO SOLVE IT !
>Thanks in advance.

In the documentation file optionially[sp?] set up called \source\doc\readme.doc
you'll fin a message concerning this very problem.  The gist of it is :

use the C1L.exe first pass for the compiler.  Do so by using the /B1 switch
like so :

CL /B1 <path/\C1L.EXE <sourcefile>.c

This should take care of your problems.

BGD

--
Bryan Donaldson                                             gatech!stiatl!bryan
Sales Technologies, Inc