Helps wanted on Microsoft C compiler.

Jainbai Wang jwang at smu.edu
Sun Dec 3 09:32:36 AEST 1989

When programming with Microsoft C lately, I run into a problem that the
MSC compiler gives the following error message at compiling time :

           Fatal error C1059 : out of near heap space

The manual explains it like this :

	   The compiler has run out of storage for items that it stores
           in the "near" (default data segment) heap. This usually means
           that your program has too many symbols or complex expressions.
           To correct the problem, divide the file into several smaller
           source files, or break expressions into smaller subexpressions.

First of all, the program does not fall into the second case since it is
a symbolic processor (a translator) rather than a heavy computing program.
Secondly, it is a MKS YACC generated program and therefore difficult to be
broken into smallers. There are totally less than 450 symbol defined and
the program is about 2200 lines. As I understand from the above statement
and the fact that the error happens at compile time, instead of run-time,
it hits compilers symbol table limitation. I tried to use large memory
mode (though it seems irrelevant) and resulted in the same. There just
no options available to increase the size of symbol table.

SOME ONE PLEASE GIVE A HINT ON HOW TO SOLVE IT !
Thanks in advance.