How Do You Pronounce "#define"?

Ben Liblit BRL102 at PSUVM.BITNET
Fri Dec 15 02:04:15 AEST 1989

>How should one pronounce "#define"?
>Is it "pound define" or "number define"?

What this entire silly debate gets down to is how to pronounce "#".  (I think
we can all agree on the proper pronunciation of "define".)

Consider:  if a C programmer were to say "include s t d i o dot h," would you
be able to make the mental leap to comprehend that he/she was saying "#include
<stdio.h>"?

If no, than I strongly suggest you abandon computer programming in favor of
some other, less complicated, activity.

If yes, then pronounce "#define" as "define" and get back to work.

                          Ben Liblit
                          BRL102 @ psuvm.bitnet -- BRL102 @ psuvm.psu.edu
                          "Fais que tes reves soient plus longs que la nuit."