How Do You Pronounce "#define"?

Gary Duzan gdtltr at mocha.it.udel.edu
Fri Dec 15 05:16:07 AEST 1989

In article <89348.100415BRL102 at PSUVM.BITNET> BRL102 at PSUVM.BITNET (Ben Liblit) writes:
=>>How should one pronounce "#define"?
=>>Is it "pound define" or "number define"?
=>
=>What this entire silly debate gets down to is how to pronounce "#".  (I think
=>we can all agree on the proper pronunciation of "define".)
=>
=>Consider:  if a C programmer were to say "include s t d i o dot h," would you
=>be able to make the mental leap to comprehend that he/she was saying "#include
=><stdio.h>"?
=>
=>If no, than I strongly suggest you abandon computer programming in favor of
=>some other, less complicated, activity.
=>
=>If yes, then pronounce "#define" as "define" and get back to work.
=>
   How about #if? If there is any ambiguity, I just prepend the word
"preprocessor". Otherwise, I use the "mental leap" theory suggested above.

                                        Gary Duzan
                                        Time  Lord
                                    Third Regeneration

    [|o o|]        "Two hearts are better than one." -- Yes        [|o o|]
     |_O_|      "Don't listen to me; I never do." -- Doctor Who     |_O_|