absolute address pointer in MS C 5.1

Bruce W. Mohler bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu
Sun Dec 31 11:53:44 AEST 1989

In article <5849 at sdcc6.ucsd.edu>, bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu (Bruce W. Mohler) writes:
> I'm trying to print out a series of characters at an
> absolute address (up in the F000:xxxx ROM) from inside
> of an MS C 5.1 program...
>
> This doesn't work...
>
> 	char far *machine_id = (0xFFFFE);	/* F000:FFFE */
>
> Any suggestions?  ...
>
> --
> Bruce W. Mohler
> Systems Programmer (aka Staff Analyst)
> bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu
> voice: 619/586-2218

Thanks to

	Chuck Kane	ckane at uiece.ece.uiuc.edu
	Dan Lanciani	ddl at harvard.*
	Doug McDonald	mcdonald at aries.scs.uiuc.edu
	John Birchfield	jb at altair.csustan.edu

for their quick answers to my problem.

One interesting note: none of them suggested using the FP_SEG
and FP_OFF macros (which were buried in the Run-Time Library
Reference).  Their solutions corrected my silly failure to
convert the segmented address into a 32-bit pointer.

Thanks again.  The net is always the fastest way to get an
answer.

bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu
voice: 619/586-2218

bruno at sdcc10.ucsd.edu