C/370 is case insensitive, and just generally rots!

Jeff Beard jbeard at quintus.UUCP
Fri Dec 15 03:40:10 AEST 1989

<c9h at psuecl.bitnet (Charles Martin Hannum II) writes:
>I just can't believe it.  If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I seriously
>doubt that I would.  IBM C/370 is *not* case sensitive.  This is just for
>starters.  Let me give you some advice.  NEVER, EVER use C/370 if there is
>*ANY* way you can avoid it, ESPECIALLY if you like K&R2.  People, this com-
>piler is BAD (Broken As Designed).  I strongly encourage you to get Waterloo
>C (WATC) if you want to program in C on an IBM mainframe.
>
>--

We now see two flavors of IBM/C: the originals ala Whitesmiths
which were programs 5713-AAG/H and the SAA compliant 5688-039/040.

Precisely which are you flaming?

PS: after working on porting Unix C code to system/370 for three years,
and after exhausting 4 compilers, I settled upon SAS/C for two important
reasons (at least to me and my company)

	1) the code generated was reentrant and could therefore by used to
	   write DSCC (shared library) fuctions

	2) by proper factoring of system dependencies (as in file names, etc)
	   code written on VM could be moved to MVS and without recompilation,
	   be link-edit with confidence of exactlt equivalent behavior!
--
======
Opinions are the possession of the speaker and to assert otherwise is plagiarism.