C/370 is case insensitive, and just generally rots!

c9h at psuecl.bitnet c9h at psuecl.bitnet
Sat Dec 16 11:15:14 AEST 1989

In article <1290 at quintus.UUCP>, jbeard at quintus.UUCP (Jeff Beard) writes:
> We now see two flavors of IBM/C: the originals ala Whitesmiths
> which were programs 5713-AAG/H and the SAA compliant 5688-039/040.
>
> Precisely which are you flaming?

C/370 is IBM's latest incarnation of C for the system/370, and many of their
mainframes of course.  I'm using it on a 3090-600(S or E, I don't recall)
and a 4381.  It sucks.

About the special characters (namely braces and brackets):  CMS doesn't
appear to have much of a problem with them.  XEDIT will display brackets
if I use SET APL ON, and CMS 5.5 seems to handle the braces correctly with
a couple of SET OUTPUT commands, but CMS 5 (on the 4381) is giving me Hell
over it.  It would be *really* nice if I could use standard C notation.
Any suggestions?

BTW:  I suspect the manuals say something about this, but we have yet to
      receive them ...  (IBM, are you listening?  This is Penn State.
      Send the G** d***ed manuals!!)

--
- Charles Martin Hannum II       "Klein bottle for sale ... inquire within."
    (That's Charles to you!)     "To life immortal!"
  c9h at hcx.psu.edu
  cmh at psuecl2.bitnet

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed herein belong exclusively to me, and
             not to Penn State, the Center for Academic Computing (fondly
             known as the CACastocracy B-), the Engineering Copmuter Lab,
             or the University Scholars Program.