Fortran to C cross compiler (a good one)

Ralph Carpenter ralphc at tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM
Sat Dec 16 04:12:35 AEST 1989

In article <699 at mqcomp.oz>, s8504789 at mqcomp.oz (Jenny Wing ) writes:

>	I have the unenviable task of looking at converting
> 	20,000 - 30,000 lines of fortran to c.  To make all
> 	this a little less tedious, I am looking for a good
> 	fortran to c cross compiler.
>
> 	If anyone knows of a good one that produces semi-
> 	readable code and preferably comes with source,
> 	could they be so very kind as to let me know?
> 	Jenny Wing.

The "FOR_C" package from the COBALT BLUE company seems to do a
good job of translating fortran to C.

	"I successfully translated over 100,000 lines of FORTRAN
	code from a large finite element program. What was especially
	impressive was that even the element library routines - a
	result of dozens of different programmers and their styles -
	were successfully translated."

	Thomas D. Kohli, P.E.
	Consultant

That quote was from an advertisement I received from the Cobolt Blue
folks.  I knew Tom Kohli from 10 years earlier, and called him.  According
to Tom, everything in the quote is absolutely correct.

The cost of FOR_C is about $750.  If you order it from a place like
Programmer's Shop it is $679.

Ralph Carpenter
Tektronix, Inc.
Beaverton, OR. 97077