printf, data presentation

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Sat Jan 7 04:57:42 AEST 1989

In article <992 at vsi.COM> friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
>In article <11064 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese[mav]) writes:
>>Besides, who uses a character terminal any more :-) :-) :-) :-)
>
>In article <9281 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
>> Exactly.  That's why I don't support standardization of curses-like
>> interfaces.  It's an idea whose time has gone.
>
>Doug, you are living in a dream world, one full of idealistic fantasy.
>You may like your Blit, but for every one of you, there are at least
>50,000 people with Wyse 50s at their desks.  For the majority of these
>people, a bitmapped interface would be massive overkill.

No joke.  We have about 50 ASCII terminals and one 4014/VT 220 clone.
The 4014-clone is great fun but no one wants to use it.  Graphis at
19.2KB are SLOW.

Our primary usage for UNIX is data entry.  That's it.  Our user's don't
care if they are running UNIX or VMS or whatever.  Most of them don't
even know what an operating system is.  Some of them think UNIX is
worse than MS-DOS because it doesn't run Lotus 1-2-3.

Sorry, but there are MANY dumb-old ASCII tubes out there.  My Wyse-50
is not the only one.  Sure, I'd love to drag the Visual 603 into my
office and use it, except I like my Wyse-50 just fine.  I don't do
windows ;-)
--
John F. Haugh II                        +-Quote of the Week:-------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  |"Now with 12 percent less fat than