printf, data presentation

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Sat Jan 7 08:17:50 AEST 1989

In article <9281 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> In article <11064 at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> cjc at ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Chris Calabrese[mav]) writes:
> >Besides, who uses a character terminal any more :-) :-) :-) :-)
>
> Exactly.  That's why I don't support standardization of curses-like
> interfaces.  It's an idea whose time has gone.

When there's a recognised standard for bitmapped displays, then you can
say the need for curses is gone. In the meantime, curses is the best
tool we have... it's the only one that lets you do the job (presenting
2-d textual data in a machine-independent way).

STDWIN is a nice start at a replacement, but it's pretty complex.
Work: uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter, peter at ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180.   `-_-'
Home: bigtex!texbell!sugar!peter, peter at sugar.uu.net.                 'U`
Opinions may not represent the policies of FICC or the Xenix Support group.