using floats in functional prototypes

Jeff Siegal jbs at fenchurch.mit.edu
Tue Jan 24 05:57:05 AEST 1989

In article <23d5d581 at ralf> Ralf.Brown at B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU writes:
>If you're going to use prototypes, you're pretty much going to have to use
>new-style declarations when defining functions.

I don't see any reason that this is true.  You just need to know about
the promotion rules.

If you mix prototypes and old-style definitions, you can get code
which compiles on both old and new C compilers (assuming you use some
sort of conditional compilation to turn the prototypes into old-style
declarations).  You still get most of the advantages of prototypes.

Jeff Siegal