new Quick C "2" ?

Jeff Leyser jal3495 at ultb.UUCP
Thu Jan 19 12:02:57 AEST 1989

In post <2759 at skivs.UUCP>, dr at skivs.UUCP (David Robins) says:
!Has anyone heard about this new version [version 2]?  When is it coming out.
!How about updates from version 1.01?   It seems to me I heard about
!a new MSC QuickC that would handle all the memory models in the
!integrated environment, and would remember watches and beakpoints
!across compiles, etc.
!--
!David Robins, M.D.  (ophthalmologist / electronics engineer)
!The Smith-Kettlewell Institute of Visual Science,  ***  net:  uunet!skivs!dr

Yup, V2.0 is now available.  Cost is $50 + $5.50P&H, unless your last
upgrade (or the initial purchase) took place after Dec. 15th, in which
case you are only charged the P&H.  New features include:

o On-line 'hypertext' based reference guide.

o A new 'getting started' book _Up and Running_.

o Support for all memory models in the intergrated environment.

o Faster compiling (claim of "up to 25,000 lines per minute").

o Support of in-line assembler.

o Better video support, include CGA, EGA, VGA, Herc and
  "presentation-quality graphics and fonts."

o "An enhanced, intergrated source-level debugger."

All of the above is from the promo stuff I got just yesterday, and the
quotes are exact.

So, I asked myself, just what is the big deal?  I sure don't see $50
bucks worth there.  I don't use the envirnoment (hate the editor), I
rarely use a debugger, and compile time is just fine on my '286.
Frankly, I'm overwheleming unimpressed.

Usual disclaimer:  I don't work for Msoft, and I _do_ like the version
of QuickC I use.
--
Jeff Leyser, Professional Student           {WCS}!rochester!ritcv!ultb!jal3495
                 a[b] == b[a] -- The Ultimate in Job Security