typechecking

Michael Meissner meissner at xyzzy.UUCP
Fri Jan 13 08:21:22 AEST 1989

(Gnu.gcc people -- this appeared in comp.lang.c on USENET)

In article <9335 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn>) writes:
| In article <19620 at uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> thoth at banana.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
| >fprintf("%s : line %d : colon expected.\n",filename,linenumber);
| >Turbo catches this and gcc doesn't.
|
| I'm somewhat surprised that GCC doesn't catch this, since the
| correct prototype in <stdio.h> would be
| 	int fprintf(FILE *, const char *, ...);
| and the compiler should be able to validate the first two argument types.

Actually, GCC will report the type mismatch providing whomever
installs it adds prototypes to the standard header files.  The
original author consider taking the time to do it (and hopefully add
smarts to `fixincludes' to do this automagically for future
revisions).  After all, GNU is a cooperative effort.
 --
Michael Meissner, Data General.

Uucp:	...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!meissner
Arpa:	meissner at dg-rtp.DG.COM   (or) meissner%dg-rtp.DG.COM at relay.cs.net