Dates & things in C

Clayton Cramer cramer at optilink.UUCP
Fri Jun 2 16:33:40 AEST 1989

In article <1128 at draken.nada.kth.se>, d88-jwa at nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:
> A propos dates, a small comment: Most American programmers seem not
> to have noticed that there is a world OUTSIDE the U.S. of A. Many
> international (read european) programmers include flexible date and
> time formats in their programs, but how many american ditto do ?
>
> I'm NOT saying that American programmers are bad, ugly or even narrow-
> minded, I just want to make ALL people aware of the need to interna-
> tionalize their programs. Tools for this will soon be available in UNIX,
> but I doubt that they will be used. The Macintosh computers have had
> the international resources for quite some time now, but still not
> everybody use them (Read: M*crosoft, MS W*rd)
>
>  __       Jon W{tte (The dread Smiley Shark) email:h+ at nada.kth.se

Speaking of internationalization, what is the second character of
your name?  All I get is a left bracket.

It's a shame that more Americans aren't sensitive to the inter-
national differences.  For example, the user interface software
I'm writing will be compiled for several different countries, and
it's really only a little more work to say:

    #ifdef AMERICA
        sprintf(Buffer, "%s-%02d-%02d", MonthStr, Date, Year);
    #else /* BENIGHTEDPARTSOFWORLD */
        sprintf(Buffer, "%02d-%s-%02d", Date, MonthStr, Year);
    #endif

See?  Just be sensitive. :-)
--
Clayton E. Cramer {pyramid,pixar,tekbspa}!optilink!cramer
"He chose...poorly." -- Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade