Day of week routine

Badri Lokanathan badri at valhalla.ee.rochester.edu
Fri Jun 2 15:45:21 AEST 1989

Henry Spencer:
>> What will happen when the 32-bit Unix date goes negative in mid-January
>> 2038 does not bear thinking about ... :-)

>David Gibbs in article <534 at bnr-fos.UUCP>:
>> Nothing of course, because nobody (but nobody) will be using piddly little
>> 32-bit machines in 2038.

Henry Spencer:

Charlie Geyer in article <1474 at uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu>:
>What's more, the 64 bit hardware will all be running 32 bit software.
>Count on it.

Are you guys serious? Do you actually think that 50 years from now
people will be doing their computing on 32/64/128/256 bit machines?
Or even Von-Neumann machines? With Unix as the operating system?

Just think: 50 years ago they were still sending messages through
naked runners (no - not quite, but almost that primitive!)

PS. There is a rumor that PDP-11's have been microcoded to self
destruct one minute before the year 2000. I also hope that I am alive
50 years from today to witness the computing of that time!
"I care about my fellow man              {) badri at ee.rochester.edu
 Being taken for a ride,                //\\ {ames,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,
 I care that things start changing     ///\\\ garp,harvard,ll-xn,rutgers}!
 But there's no one on my side."-UB40   _||_   rochester!ur-valhalla!badri