Day of week routine

Jon W{tte d88-jwa at nada.kth.se
Sat Jun 3 19:25:02 AEST 1989

In article <4384 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>still see a fair number of 32-bit machines 20 years from now, but 64-bit
>machines with 64-bit software will be on the rise. In 50 years... who knows.

>_Across Realtime_ by Vernor Vinge), but I suspect that 64-bit machines will
>be on the way out.

So, if computers have stuck with 32 bits for n years, are there not
chances that computers will do so for another n years ? And the dawn of
parallell cube machines suggest that computing power is increased through
new architectures, not through more bits in the registers.

Of course, IF Unix (TM of AT&T, isn't it ?) is still around at 2038,
I think THAT implementation will take care of the 32-bit problem...
Especially since this meeting ALREADY is suggesting something is done
about this problem.

 __       Jon W{tte (The dread Smiley Shark) email:h+ at nada.kth.se
/  \      (+46 (0) 8 258 268)
   /---   (c) 1989 Yessbox Allright Professional Products Inc. - Y.A.P.P.I.
  /       -- No More --