C Programmer's Environment

Bjorn Engsig bengsig at oracle.nl
Fri Jun 16 17:06:49 AEST 1989

[ let's bring this discussion over to comp.editors ]

>From article <4700039 at m.cs.uiuc.edu> by kenny at m.cs.uiuc.edu:
| I've had the experience of working on a
|system where the sysadmin wouldn't *allow* me to use emacs (which was
|on the system, but available only to users with a `documented need')
|because `vi is better, anyway.'  Annoying, at best; crippling, at
|worst.
I agree on this - use the tools available which fit your needs best.

On the other hand, a few days ago I used news on a machine where I
normally don't - and the default VISUAL was emacs which I have never
used.  Could all you emacs fans please give a good reason for not having
an obvious way of getting OUT of emacs, I tried anything like q, Q, x, X
various control keys etc., all without very much success.  I really
don't know how I finally got out of it.

Maybe I should just learn emacs - if we had it on this system :-)
--
Bjorn Engsig, ORACLE Europe         \ /    "Hofstadter's Law:  It always takes
Domain: bengsig at oracle.nl           / \     take into account Hofstadter's Law"