C Programmer's Environment

kenny at m.cs.uiuc.edu kenny at m.cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Jun 16 05:02:00 AEST 1989

/* Written 10:28 am  Jun 14, 1989 by paulc at microsoft.UUCP in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.lang.c */
In article <14810.2494481A at urchin.fidonet.org> Bob.Stout at p6.f506.n106.z1.fidonet.org (Bob Stout) writes:
>Scrap vi and replace it with Emacs...

Or, to generalize, scrap vi and replace it with
<substitue whatever editor you are most comfortable with
or rabidly addicted to here>.  Much religion here.
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.lang.c */

But, if you're a system administrator, *don't* force your users to
scrap their favorite environments unless it's necessary to preserve
consistency of your product.  I've had the experience of working on a
system where the sysadmin wouldn't *allow* me to use emacs (which was
on the system, but available only to users with a `documented need')
because `vi is better, anyway.'  Annoying, at best; crippling, at
worst.