Testing math library (libm) for new processor?

Dik T. Winter dik at cwi.nl
Thu Jun 29 05:53:14 AEST 1989

 In article <2038 at hub.ucsb.edu> grosen at amadeus.ucsb.edu (Mark D. Grosen) writes:

 > I am writing a math library (equivalent to libm.a on most UNiX systems) for
 > a new processor.  (Functions like sin, cos, log, etc.)  I would appreciate
 > any suggestions on how to test these routines.

You ought to have a look at the book "Software Manual for the Elementary
Functions" by Cody and Waite.  It describes how to implement these functions,
but also gives extensive test programs.  It contains a few errors, on the
other hand the descriptions are very clear and it describes a number of
pitfalls both in design as well as in testing.  It is however based on Fortran.
INTERNET   : dik at cwi.nl
BITNET/EARN: dik at mcvax