Day of week routine

J. Eric Townsend erict at flatline.UUCP
Sun Jun 4 17:12:41 AEST 1989

In article <32220 at apple.Apple.COM> desnoyer at Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) writes:
>I have heard that a lot of bank ATMs are controlled by PDP-8s. Can
>anyone with better knowledge than be confirm/deny this rumor? (Or are
>they all on IBM mainframes connected to private SNA networks? :-)

I used to work for Integrated BancSystems, a company that produced
banking software.  We played around with Diebold equipment that
was used as ATM servers (we were thinking about expanding).

The Diebold box we got the most use of was a 8-something-86 box
running iRMX (or something like that).  Basically, it was a very
small, very underpowered multi-tasking system that could do nothing
but drive ATMs.  Also, most Circle-K's have Diebold-brand ATMs these
days, so I'd guess that a large chunk of the ATM servers are Diebold
boxes with Intel chips.  Might as well be PDP-8s... :-)

--
"I'm chronically unable to enjoy most formula fiction, be it by Larry
Niven, Norman Mailer or Margaret Drabble." -- Michael Moorcock.