Day of week routine

Norman Diamond diamond at csl.sony.co.jp
Mon Jun 5 14:09:42 AEST 1989

Does anyone else get "interp buffer overflow" trying to follow-up to
a message like this:
Does anyone else get ".newsrc restored" and find that their .newsrc is
not restored?  Well, it's slightly better than having to skip past the
30 preceding comp.lang.c articles again.

Anyway...

Henry Spencer:

Charlie Geyer in article <1474 at uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu>:
>What's more, the 64 bit hardware will all be running 32 bit software.
>Count on it.

Badri Lokanathan:
>Are you guys serious? Do you actually think that 50 years from now
>people will be doing their computing on 32/64/128/256 bit machines?
>Or even Von-Neumann machines? With Unix as the operating system?

Are you serious, Mr. Lokanathan?  Did anyone believe that a mainframe
operating system would still be in use 25 years later?  And if that's
not enough, consider this:

No one, but no one, wants to be seen using a 10-year-old piece of
hardware.  Sure, they'll use them in secondary roles, but no one wants
to be seen using them.

But a 20-year-old operating system is another story.  Everyone wants
to run a 20-year-old operating system with their 3-year-old workstation,
bitmapped screen, network, and megabytes of RAM.  No one wants to use
an operating system newer than that, even though a few of the newer ones
are better.  This kind of attitude isn't going to change in the next
50 years either.

Oh there are exceptions of course, for instance I prefer a certain
10-year-old operating system and a certain 5-year-old one, and would
be interested in watching a few others that are now under development.
But such preferences are risky to careers, and should be kept quiet.

--
Norman Diamond, Sony Computer Science Lab (diamond%csl.sony.co.jp at relay.cs.net)
  The above opinions are my own.   |  Why are programmers criticized for