GEM/AES/VDI 'C' Sample Code Needed!!

Richard E. Covert covertr at gtephx.UUCP
Thu Jun 8 01:51:38 AEST 1989

I am cross-posting this request to comp.lang.c in the slight chance that
some Atari ST C programmers might see it!!

I am trying to add a nice GEM interface to some UNIX style C programs that
I am writing and I seem to have run into a hurdle. I am having a hard time
getting used to using GEM/AES/VDI code and especially various Resource
Editors.

	I am using Mark Williams C version 3.09, which comes with its own
Resource Editor. I also bought the Kuma Resource Editor, and the Michtron
WERCS Resource Editor.

	As an example of where I am stuck I want to display a bar that fills
from left to right as I process data. The bar can be in a blank screen of its
own, but it would be nice to have a text displayed with it.

	Now, would I use a RSC editor to create the dialog box with the bar and
the text?? If so, how do I create it with the above RSC editors?? I see that
the RSC editors create a RSC and a H file. The H file contrains the 'C' variable
names for the different objects created with the RSC editor. MWC has the standard
GEM/AES/VDI libs to load the RSC file. I am just having a difficult time using the
various RSC editors to create the bar and text objects. It seems that the bar and the
text objects are children of the FORM (dialog) .

	Also, the old TOS (1.0, 1.2) don't allow for a text string to be shown
with a file selector when fsel_input() is used. I do have a sample function written
that places a banner (one line of text) immediately above the file selector
dialog box. I am willing to post that code if anyone wants to see it.

	I guess what I am saying is that I have no difficulty inwriting standard
UNIX C programs, but I am having some trouble adding the nice GEM interfaces to
it once the UNIX version is done.

	One more thing, does anyone have any routines to add sound to C programs??
There was a program called G.I.S.T. available for the ST awhile ago, but the binaries
won't work with my current MWC C compiler. Also, does anyone have any routines
to add graphics, such as a nice entry screen, to a program?? and what drawing programs
do you use to create the screens??

	I would like to see some commented C code, perferably for MWC though I could
use Laser C as well, for the AES/VDI problems that I am having. And does anyone have
any ideas of how to learn to use the darn RSC Editors??

I can be reached on GEnie as R.COVERT1 or on USENET at gtephx!covertr.

P.S.
	Do the various public domain disks from CURRENT NOTES or Accusoft
contain actual C AES/VDI sample code?? I have tried d/ling C source code
from GEnie, but most of it doesn't use a GEM interface. And I haven't seen
ANY C source on USENET that uses a GEM interface. Oh well, the weekend is
only 3 days away and then I can study my books again!!!

Richard (Slightly Confused) Covert