Wanted: Info on C standards

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Jun 2 02:49:43 AEST 1989

In article <438eb738.14a1f at gtephx.UUCP> covertr at gtephx.UUCP (Richard E. Covert) writes:
>  I need info on the ANSI standard for 'C'. What is the offical
>document called and where can I obtain it??

There isn't yet an officially approved standard.  It should be called
ANSI X3.159-1989 (assuming it is approved this year as expected).
The "final draft" was prepared by X3J11 and mailed to its members and
registered observers a few months ago; there is a chance you can obtain
a copy from Global Engineering Documents (I don't have their phone
number handy).

>I also need info on C++. Is there an ANSI standard for it?? If so,
>where can I get a copy of it??

There is not even a draft of an official standard for C++ at this time.

>I also need to know if there is an ANSI standard for UNIX?? If not,
>then where can I go to get the differences between AT&T System V
>and Berkely UNIX??

UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T, who have published a "System V
Interface Definition" (SVID) in several volumes.  There are some more
or less official standards for UNIX-compatible system interfaces etc.;
the most official of these is IEEE Std 1003.1 (the first of several
"POSIX" specifications), available from IEEE.

Differences between BSD and UNIX System V are legion, and have been
described in numerous articles including one by Chambers and Quarterman
in one of the USENIX Proceedings.  The forthcoming UNIX System V Release
4.0 is supposed to incorporate a high degree of BSD compatibility.