ELI (was Re: Tiny Lisp written in C)

Robert Steven Glickstein bobg+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Jun 1 03:25:07 AEST 1989

> Excerpts from ext.nn.comp.lang.c: 30-May-89 Tiny Lisp written in C Dr.
> Roy at willow.Caltech.E (483)

> Does anyone know of a public domain lisp interpreter, written
> in a high-level language, preferably C, which can control
> an application like this?

And now for the monthly ELI posting.

I am the author of the Andrew System embedded lisp from CMU (called ELI
[Embedded Lisp Interpreter]).  It is written in very portable C and is
available on the X11R3 distribution which can be ftp'd from
expo.lcs.mit.edu (Internet: 18.30.0.212) in the file
"/contrib/eli-dist.tar".  It implements an "extended subset" of Common
Lisp, and is currently in use as a filtering language for the Andrew
Message System.  It is a fairly stable if not utterly robust package,
but when you buy into ELI, you will also be among the first to know
about its upcoming successor, ELSIE (the "Embedded Lisp [Scheme]
Interpreter, 'ELSIE'"), which will be even smaller and faster than ELI
and which will not be an "extended subset" of anything; it will be a
proper superset of the Revised^4 Report on Scheme, complete with a Lisp
compatability module and tons of other wonderful features such as
dynamic loading and user-defined types.  If you are interested in
discussing ELI or ELSIE, or indeed any other part of the Andrew system,
please check out comp.soft-sys.andrew or subscribe to the mailing list
"info-andrew" by sending mail to "info-andrew-request at andrew.cmu.edu".
If you are unable to ftp from expo.lcs.mit.edu, send me mail and I can
mail you the ELI distribution.  Let me know if I can send anyone any
more information.

                             Bob Glickstein
                           ITC Database Group
                      Information Technology Center