Day of week routine

Brad Brown bradb at ai.toronto.edu
Sat Jun 10 00:56:56 AEST 1989

In article <32220 at apple.Apple.COM> desnoyer at Apple.COM (Peter Desnoyers) writes:

>I have heard that a lot of bank ATMs are controlled by PDP-8s. Can
>anyone with better knowledge than be confirm/deny this rumor? (Or are
>they all on IBM mainframes connected to private SNA networks? :-)

I'm told by someone who works for CIBC (Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce)
that at least most of the ATMs currently being shipped by IBM are controlled
by what is essentially an AT -- that is, it's an AT motherboard and it
uses IBM format 1.2MB floppy disks, at least for IPL.

BTW, the new IBM 4800 series POS (Point of Sale) terminals are controlled
by AT motherboards or a close derivative, too.

					(-:  Brad Brown  :-)
					bradb at ai.utoronto.ca