Calling FORTRAN from C (Was: Need matrix inversion C routine).

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue May 2 06:16:20 AEST 1989

>Is there anything in pANS C, Fortran 8x, and POSIX that will alleviate this
>situation?

No, because:

	1) the proposed C 89 standard says little if anything about
	   FORTRAN (or is that "Fortran" now?);

	2) I suspect the Fortran 8x standard will say little if anything
	   about C;

	3) the C 89 standard and probably the Fortran 8x standard will
	   probably say very little indeed about calling sequences, or
	   other compiler-dependent and machine-dependent implementation
	   details;

	4) POSIX doesn't say anything about them either.

>It's very annoying, especially these days when all of the really
>high quality numerical stuff is still in FORTRAN and all of the good user
>interface stuff is in C.

This is a "quality of implementation" issue, and was left to the
marketplace; avoid the "there oughta be a law" syndrome.