Calling FORTRAN from C (Was: Need matrix inversion C routine).

Forrest Gehrke feg at clyde.ATT.COM
Tue May 2 00:32:44 AEST 1989

In article <1399 at uw-entropy.ms.washington.edu>, charlie at mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer) writes:

> In article <307 at cbnewsh.ATT.COM> georg at cbnewsh.ATT.COM (georg.k.karawas) writes:
>
> > The book 'Numerical Recipes in C' should contain a routine
> > for matrix inversion. As it was already pointed in other
> > articles, it is a hassle to work with pointers.
>
> Is there anything in pANS C, Fortran 8x, and POSIX that will alleviate this
> situation?  It's very annoying, especially these days when all of the really
> high quality numerical stuff is still in FORTRAN and all of the good user
> interface stuff is in C.

If portability and compatibility with ANSI C are foremost, then
you probably would be best off with "Numerical Recipes in C"
(assuming you aren't interested in re-inventing).

If you go this route, the publisher sells a couple of diskettes
with the drivers and the C functions for everything listed
in the book (plus a number of general utilities used by
their routines).  (The information in the book about these
diskettes isn't exactly clear because they call 'em by
the same name--but there are TWO diskettes, one for about $30
and the other $25).  The text itself is about $45.  They also
publish a smaller book which goes into more specific details
about their routines.

If numerical programming in C is your thing, I think this is
well worth the price.

--Forrest Gehrke