Pound sign (was Re: the Telephone Test)

Mark Brader msb at sq.com
Mon May 8 17:02:37 AEST 1989

> Believe it or not, there is a document for ANSII.

As I said a few weeks ago, please do not confuse these similar acronyms:

ASCII - the character set (American Standard Code for Information Interchange)
ANSI  - the standards body (American National Standards Institute)
ANS   - an ANSI standard (American National Standard)

There is no ANSII.

Yes, there is an ANS for ASCII.  Specifically, it's ANS X3.4-1977.

And where you say...			It actually has...

>       #  pound sign			Number Sign
>       ^  circumflex			Circumflex
>       \  reverse slant		Reverse Slant
>       _  underline			Underline
>       ~  overline (or tilda)		Tilde
>       `  accent grave			Opening Single Quotation Mark (Grave
								Accent)
>       @  comercial at sign		Commercial At

I'd like to cite this in support of what Clive Feather said to start
this flame war, since my position is the same as his, but to be consistent
I'd then have to start pronouncing the character \ as "reverse slant",
and somehow I don't care to do so.

Please, people.  This is a simple issue of religion and NOT FOR COMP.LANG.C!

--
Mark Brader, SoftQuad Inc., Toronto		"Remember the Golgafrinchans"
utzoo!sq!msb, msb at sq.com					-- Pete Granger

This article is in the public domain.