Pound sign (was Re: the Telephone Test)

Blair P. Houghton bph at buengc.BU.EDU
Fri May 19 06:31:28 AEST 1989

In article <2015 at dlvax2.datlog.co.uk> gis at datlog.co.uk ( Ian Stewartson ) writes:
>In passing, I noticed that the SOED defines a dollar with two vertical lines
>and not the single line on my keyboard.

This is misc.misc material, but I don't dare open that floodgate...
we'd be discussing how David is doing under that mountain of postcards
within the week.

Okay.  Look at a T-bill.  Don't got one?  neither do I.  It was a joke.
Look close at the old-style federal checks (is it on the new one), although
my description should be enough:  that S// sort of $ is actually an S
with a U drawn over it.  The rest is the history of degenerated graphics.

				--Blair
				  "And here are all these loons
				   writing alphabetics with meaningless
				   slashes through them just to copy..."